[Korean Culture & Language] Korean Portmanteus in Romantic Relationship

 


Hello, this is Uptempo Marketers!


In my last article, I covered some Korean slang words for friendships and dating.

Today I will cover slang words that can be used in a little deeper relationships.


๋‚ด ๋‚จ์นœ ์™„์ „ ๊ฐ€์‹ถ๋‚จ ์ด์—ˆ์ง€.

๋‚ด ๋‚จ์นœ์€ ์ดˆ์‹๋‚จ์ด๋ผ์„œ ์ข‹์•„.

๋‚ด ์—ฌ์นœ์€ ๋‡Œ์„น๋…€์•ผ.


์—ฌ์นœ and ๋‚จ์นœ are shorter versions of ์—ฌ์ž์นœ๊ตฌ and ๋‚จ์ž์นœ๊ตฌ. Many Korean slangs are created from taking two words from its original word. Below are examples of how you can use the words ์—ฌ์นœ/๋‚จ์นœ:
Ex)
์–ด์ œ ๋‚จ์นœ์ด ์ €๋… ๋งŒ๋“ค์–ด์คฌ์–ด. (My boyfriend cooked me dinner last night)
์ด๋ฒˆ์ฃผ ํ† ์š”์ผ์— ์—ฌ์นœ์ด๋ž‘ ๋†€์ด๊ณต์› ๊ฐ€๊ธฐ๋กœ ํ–ˆ์–ด. (My girlfriend and I planned to go to a theme park this Saturday)


๊ฐ€์‹ถ๋‚จ is a shorter version of “๊ฐ€์ง€๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ๋‚จ์ž,” which literally translated as “the guy I want to have”. It usually refers to a guy who every girl wants. It sounds like a “gossip -nam,” but it has nothing to do with gossips. ๊ฐ€์‹ถ๋…€ can be used for women.

Ex) ์กด์€ ์ •๋ง ๊ฐ€์‹ถ๋‚จ ์ด์•ผ can be simply translated as “John is such a babe”


์ดˆ์‹๋‚จ is directly translated as “a herbivore man”. Can you guess what it actually means?
It refers to a man who is more interested in his work and hobbies than women and dating. It became extremely popular when a Japanese columnist used the term in 2006.
So, “๋‚ด ๋‚จ์นœ์€ ์ดˆ์‹๋‚จ์ด๋ผ์„œ ์ข‹์•„,” means “I like how my boyfriend is more interested in his work and hobbies than in women”. The atonym of this slang word is “์œก์‹๋‚จ,” which is literally translated as “a carnivore man”. Carnivore men are known to be really assertive in their relationships with women. You can use “์ดˆ์‹๋…€” for women.

Ex) ๋‚˜๋Š” ์ดˆ์‹๋‚จ์ด ์ข‹๋”๋ผ (I like a guy who is less assertive in relationships with women)


๋‡Œ์„น๋…€ refers to a woman whose intelligence is seen as attractive, regardless of their physical appearance. It is an abbreviation of “๋‡Œ๊ฐ€ ์„น์‹œํ•œ ์—ฌ์ž,” which directly translates as “A woman who has a sexy brain”. So, “๋‚ด ์—ฌ์นœ์€ ๋‡Œ์„น๋…€์•ผ” means “My girlfriend has a sexy brain (My girlfriend is so smart that it’s so sexy)”. You can use “๋‡Œ์„น๋‚จ” for men.

BTS even sings about a sexy brain:

BTS-I Love your Sexy Brain ♪ ♫ ♬ (feat. JIN) - YouTube


๋Œ“๊ธ€

์ด ๋ธ”๋กœ๊ทธ์˜ ์ธ๊ธฐ ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ

[Korean Culture & Language] Greed-์š•์‹ฌ

[Korean Culture & Language] An Axe Syndrome

[Korean Culture & Language] Goblins ๋„๊นจ๋น„